Arrosto Misto means mixed roast in Italian, and there is something quite extravagant about having a variety of roast meats all at the same time!
- 2–3kg (4.4 – 6.6 lb) mixed meat as described above
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil, plus slight more, if needed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, left whole
- 2 carrots, cut into 2.5cm/1″ length
- 2 celery stalks, cut into about 2.5cm (1″) length
- 2 eating apples, cored and sliced into 6 pieces each
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 125ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 2 handfuls fresh or frozen cranberries, if in season/available
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C (400˚F).
- Heat half the oil in a large ovenproof dish or dutch oven over medium high heat. The dish should be large enough to take your meat in one layer.
- Brown all the meat in the pan, for about 10 minutes, to ensure a lovely brown colouring. Do this in batches, as required, and put the meat aside on a plate. You shouldn’t really need more oil, as browning the meat will release fat into the pan, but add more, if necessary.
- Next, add the other half of the oil and add all the vegetables, apples and herbs in. Mix thoroughly to coat with the fat from the meat and the oil. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in the wine and stock and bring to a boil.
- Now place all your browned meat amongst the vegetables, in a single layer as much as possible.
- Scatter the cranberries all over, if using.
- On the stove: cook for 1 and a half hours, partially covered, until it’s all cooked, and the sauce has thickened considerably.
- Baste halfway through if the meat is looking dry, and if the sauce is reducing too much, just cover completely.
- Place in the oven and roast, uncovered for 1 – 1 1/2 hours by which time, your birds will be nicely brown and the liquid would have thickened to a lovely syrupy glaze. Baste halfway through. When the meat is pulling away from the duck bone, the whole lot is done. If you think the meat is browning too much, cover the pan for half the cooking time.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 6-8