This Asparagus and Tofu Stir Fry is a quick and easy, vegan side dish, that takes only 10 minutes to make. Perfect spring time recipe.
- 200g (7 oz) asparagus
- 100g (3.5 oz) firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 2.5 cm (1″) ginger
- 1 red chilli
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
- pinch of salt
- a little fresh coriander leaves (cilantro), chopped
- a drizzle of any Chinese chilli oil (optional)
- Clean and break off the very ends of the asparagus, at the first segment. Chop them up into 2-3″ lengths, if you like.
- Rinse the tofu and cut into little cubes, about 1″ big.
- Halve the onion, then slice thinly. Chop the garlic widthwise. Slice the ginger up thinly. Slice the chilli.
- Heat 1/2 a tablespoon of the oil in a non stick frying pan on high heat and fry the tofu cubes for 2 minutes, flipping the pan a couple of times, to brown the tofu all over. Tip out onto a plate and set aside.
- Heat the other half of the oil on medium heat an fry the onion slices for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the asparagus, soy sauce and salt and stir to coat. Cook for 30 seconds, then add the tofu and fry for another minute, stirring everything together, but being careful not to break the tofu up.
- Dish up, top with coriander leaves (cilantro) and chilli oil and serve immediately.
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: British/Chinese Fusion