Recipe for Baharat (Bahārāt, بهارات), a Middle Eastern spice mix or blend that can be found all over the region.
- 3 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 5cm (2″) cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorns
- seeds of 10 cardamom pods
- quarter tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Paprika or Chilli Powder
- Dried Red Chillies
- Dried Edible Rose Petals
- Break the cinnamon stick slightly or pound it with the back of a knife. This is to make the grinding easy.
- Place everything in a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder.
- Will keep indefinitely but its potency will reduce with time.
- Category: Ingredients
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern/North African
- Serving Size: Makes 1 small spice jar