Delicious Italian meatballs with a twist – these ones are zinged up with pesto!
- 500g (1.1 lb) minced beef
- 100g (3.5 oz) pesto, preferably home made
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 80g (2.5 oz) white breadcrumbs, about 3 slices of bread
- 60g (2 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
- small handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1–2 Tbsp olive oil, depending on how fatty your meat is
- 400g (14 oz) can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- half each, green and red capsicum, sliced, fresh or chargrilled
- 2 tomatoes, in rounds, or handful roasted
- 2 Tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, if needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the meatball ingredients (apart from the oil) in a large bowl.
- Make medium sized balls, you should get about 2 dozen.
- Heat the oil on medium high heat and brown the meatballs, turning them, for about 2 minutes each side. Do this in batches, no overcrowding as you want the meatballs to fry not stew.
- Place all the meatballs, in a single layer, in a large, oven proof dish and turn the oven on to 180˚C (350˚F).
- We’ll be using the same pan for the sauce. If there is much fat left, tip all but 1 tbsp of it out. Add the 1 tbsp of olive oil if not. Heat this on medium heat.
- Fry the onions for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add everything else in and bring to a simmer. Check seasoning.
- Pour this sauce all over the meatballs and bake in the hot oven for 25-30 minutes, at which point the sauce will be bubbling at the edges.
- Serve with pasta, bread or rice.
- Some mozzarella will go very nicely if serving the Baked Pesto Meatballs with pasta or bread.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 4-6