This easy vegan paella is packed with the rich flavours of saffron, smoked paprika and marinated vegetables. Ready in 35 minutes!
- 1 large white/brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium courgette (zucchini)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp EV olive oil
- 400g (2 cups) paella rice like Calasparra or Bomba
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 small pinch saffron
- 1 litre (4 cups) hot vegetables stock
- 1 jar (about 300g/10.5oz) grilled or roasted red peppers
- 1 jar (about 300g/10.5oz) marinated artichokes, preferably also grilled
- juice of half a lemon
- a handful fresh flat parsley, chopped
- lemon wedges
- 2 handfuls black Spanish olives
Let’s prep the vegetables
- Chop the onion and garlic up fairly finely.
- Slice the courgette (zucchini) thinly, so it’ll soften and cook. About half a cm (1/4″ roughly) will do.
- Chop up the tomatoes roughly (about 8 pieces to a tomato), reserving all the juices.
Let’s cook our vegan paella
- Heat the olive oil in a paella pan or large frying pan that’s about 7.5cm (3″) deep, on medium heat.
- Fry the onions for 1 minutes, followed by the garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice, stir to coat for 1 minute.
- Add the paprika and saffron, stir then add the courgettes in, stirring for 10 seconds.
- Pour in the hot stock, increase the heat and stir well to mix. Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat right down and leave to simmer for 15 minutes, without stirring.
- At the end of 15 minutes, add the peppers and artichokes, just tucking them into the rice, without stirring. Leave to cook for 5 more minutes.
- At the end of that 5 minutes, take off the heat, and leave to rest for 5 minutes, then serve immediately with the lemon juice drizzled all over.
How to get a crust on the bottom of your paella
- At the end of cooking time, increase the heat to medium-high and leave to cook for 5 minutes, without burning. That should do it. If you start to smell burning, just reduce the heat.
- Finish off with the lemon juice before serving.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Spanish
Keywords: paella, rice, spanish, easy recipes