Green Chilli Chicken recipe. You can make it with fresh tomatillos, with shop bought green salsa (salsa verde) or with tomatillos in adobo!
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp EV olive oil
- 500g (1.1 lb) tomatillos
- 5 jalapeños
- 1 large white/brown onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 green capsicum (bell pepper)
- 5–10 spicy green chillies (heat level, up to you)
- 1 large handful coriander
- 500g (1.1 lb) boneless chicken OR 750g (1 3/5 lb) on the bone
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 500ml chicken stock
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp green Tabasco or 1/4 tsp clear vinegar
Garnish (with any or all)
- lime wedges
- some chopped coriander (cilantro)
- some chopped green chilli
- soured cream
- fresh avocado slices
Roasting the tomatillos and chillies
- Halve the tomatillos in the middle (not from the top). Place the tomatillos on a baking tray.
- Halve the jalapeños lengthwise and add to the tray. Drizzle just 1 tsp of EV olive oil all over and mix with your hands.
- Place under a hot grill for 10 minutes while you get all the other ingredients ready. Flip them halfway through if you like. I just flip the tray, and if not all of them turn over, no big deal. I’m still getting the smoky flavour.
The Rest of the recipe
- Chop up the onion, garlic, the rest of the green chillies and capsicum fairly finely.
- Chop up the coriander leaves (cilantro) fairly finely.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and brown the chicken legs, about 2 minutes on each side. Season with a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Take them out and set aside on a plate.
- Add the onions and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic, capsicum, chillies, cumin, bay leaf and oregano to the pot. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the chopped coriander (cilantro), roasted tomatillos and jalapeños, along with any juices. Stir to mix well.
- Add the chicken legs back into the pan. Pour in the stock, stir and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until the chicken is falling off the bone, stirring occasionally.
- When done, take chicken legs out of the pan, shred the meat off the bone, and tip it all back into the chilli. Cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered on low heat, to thicken and to reduce the liquid.
- Turn the heat off after 10 minutes. Season with some freshly ground black pepper, add the lime juice, the green tabasco (or vinegar) and stir. Check seasoning. Add some salt at this stage if you think you need it.
- Sprinkle coriander and drizzle some soured cream over when serving.
- Category: Main Course with Rice or Flatbread
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: TexMex