Green Shakshuka with Tomatillo, a Mexican spin on a Middle Eastern favourite.
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 large tomatillos
- 1 1/2 capsicums (green peppers)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch sugar
- 2 Tbsp Zhoug
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp EV olive oil
To be chopped
- 2 large tomatillos
- 1/2 capsicum (green pepper)
- 10 stalks flat leaf parsley (curly will do too)
- 10 stalks coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1 jalapeño (if not using zhoug)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 stalks parsley, finely chopped
- 5 stalks coriander leaves, finely chopped
- cheese of your choice (optional)
- Chop your onions up fairly finely, about 1cm/half in square, roughly. Do the same with the tomatillos and capsicums (pepper).
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Roughly cut up the ingredients to be chopped and place them in the chopper with the water. Chop to a fairly fine, watery paste.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan on medium heat and fry the onions for 2 minutes, stirring them from time to time.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Now add the chopped up tomatillos, the chopped up capsicums (pepper), the green watery paste, the cumin, the paprika, the salt, the sugar and Zhoug, if using. Stir and bring it all up to a gentle boil. Then lower the heat down and simmer everything for about 5 minutes, to reduce and to thicken. Taste your sauce. Add more salt if you think it needs it, add more sugar for a slightly sweeter sauce.
- Crack the eggs individually onto the shakshuka mixture. You can make indentations for the eggs if you like, but I don’t bother.
- Cook for another 3-5 minutes until your eggs are done to your liking. I like my eggs very soft and runny, so I leave it uncovered at this stage. If you like yours more cooked, cover it with a lid.
- Garnish with the chopped up herbs, some freshly ground black pepper, and cheese, if you like. Take the whole pan to the table and let everyone help themselves.
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern and Mexican Fusion
- Serving Size: 4