An easy homemade vegetable stock recipe that can easily be frozen.
- 2.5 litres (10 cups) water
- 1 large onion, halved
- 1 leek, washed well and chopped into 4–5 lengths
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped into large chunks chopped
- 10 shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and left whole
- 2 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Place everything into a large saucepan or stockpot.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- At the end of cooking time, strain the stock through a fine mesh sieve into a clean pot, discarding all the solid contents. Set aside to cool.
- Keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days, or freeze it, in small batches, for up to 2 months.
- Category: Basic Recipes
- Cuisine: British