A step by step tutorial on how to season and care for your tagine. Or any untreated clay pot.
- Your tagine
- A bucket filled with room temperature water
- Extra Virgin olive oil, as needed
- Kitchen paper
- An oven!
- First thing we do is soak the tagine in a bucket of room temperature water overnight.
- The next day, lose the water and leave the tagine to dry for a couple of minutes.
- Dip the kitchen towel in the olive oil and rub the tagine all over, completely with the oil. Make sure every last bit of the tagine is covered.
- Place the tagine in a cold oven, close the door, then turn the oven on to 150˚C (300˚F).
- “Bake” the oven for 2 hours.
- Turn the oven off and leave the tagine in the oven, with the door closed, until they’ve both cooled down. An hour should suffice.
- Now, coat the inside of the tagine with more olive oil and leave aside to dry and for the clay to absorb the oil.
- That’s it, store until needed.
- Cuisine: North African