Kangkung Belacan is a very traditional and popular vegetable stir fry found in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and the surrounding countries.
- 500g (1.1 lb) kangkung (water spinach)
- 1 small onion
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 2 fresh red chillies
- 1 Tbsp shrimp paste (belacan)
- 1 Tbsp dried shrimp (udang kering)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (or 1 tsp if you like your salt)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- Cut the kangkung into 7.5cm/3″ lengths, separating the harder stalks from the leaves, place on 2 separate plates.
- Place the dried shrimp in the chopper and chop to a floss. This should only take about 20 seconds.
- Add the onion, garlic, chillies and shrimp paste and chop to a semi fine mix. You shouldn’t need to add any water.
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan on medium-high heat and fry the ground ingredients until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the stalks and salt fry for a minute, mixing everything well.
- Add the water and stir through for 10 seconds.
- Turn the heat off, then add the leaves. Give it all a good stir to wilt the leaves. Check the seasoning and add more salt if you think it needs it.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: Singaporean, Malaysian and Thai