Kerisik is toasted, pounded desiccated coconut, used as an enriching ingredient in many dishes in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.
- fresh grated coconut
OR defrosted frozen grated coconut
- Heat a frying pan on medium-low heat and dry fry your shredded coconut for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- If you find that some bits are browning too quickly, turn the heat down.
- When done, leave to cool slightly.
- Pound in a pestle and mortar or place in a spice mill and blitz until you get the consistency of brown sugar. That’s it!
- Category: Ingredients
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Singaporean, Malaysian and Indonesian
Keywords: kerisik, malaysian, coconut