Pad Kra Pao Gai is one of those dishes you will find everywhere in Thailand, street food vendors sell it for breakfast as well as lunch, served with some steamed white rice and topped with a sunny side up egg. Quick. Simple. Super Tasty!
- 450g/1lb chicken breasts
- 8 cloves garlic
- 5 red Thai chillies (more or less, up to you)
- 2 generous handfuls Thai Holy Basil
- 1 Tbsp flavourless oil (vegetable or peanut)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- generous pinch of white or palm sugar
- If not bought chopped up, chop the chicken into tiny pieces and set aside. (2-3 minutes)
- Pound the garlic and chillies in a pestle and mortar or chop in a chopper. (3 minutes)
- Pick the leaves of the Thai Holy Basil. (5 minutes)
- Mix the sauces in a small bowl or cup and set aside. (1 minute)
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan on medium high heat and sauté the chilli and garlic for 30 seconds. (1 minute)
- Add the chicken and str vigorously to coat the chicken pieces. (30 seconds)
- Pour the sauces in, turn the heat to high and cook the chicken for about 5 minutes until cooked through. (5 minutes)
- Throw in the basil leaves, mix it up thoroughly for just about 30 seconds, don’t overcook the leaves.
- Serve, as above in a 30 minute dinner or as part of a more elaborate meal.
- Category: Main Course with Rice
- Cuisine: Thai