Persian Yoghurt with Cucumber (Mast-o-Khiar) is a traditional Persian recipe that goes with just about anything! It is commonly eaten as an accompaniment to rice, stews and grilled meat, much like raita is eaten with Indian food.
- 2 cups plain, natural yoghurt
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 Tbsp dried mint (or 1 handful fresh mint, chopped)
- 1 handful walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground, dried edible rose petals (optional)
- large pinch salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Chop up the cucumber fairly small. If you want to grate them, be sure to squeeze them dry in paper towels after grating. Otherwise, the yoghurt will get watered down.
- Mix everything up in a bowl, keeping a little of all the ingredients as a garnish. Taste, and add more salt and pepper, if you think it needs it. Or any of the other ingredients.
- Cover with cling film and chill for 30 minutes for the flavours to develop. Can be made up to 2 hours ahead.
- Serve as mentioned above, garnished with some of the same ingredients.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Persian