Recipe for Traditional Sage and Onion Stuffing, a must on many British Christmas tables.
- 300 g (10.5 oz) sausages, chopped
- 100 g (3.5 oz) white breadcrumbs (about 4 slices)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dried sage
- salt and pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the stuffing as you wish: stuff a bird, cook in a dish or make little balls the size of ping pong balls, as in the pictures here.
- Oven temperature will depend on what you are roasting it with but a rough guide will be 200 ̊C (400 ̊F).
- If you are making stuffing balls, cook them for 20 – 30 minutes, depending on what’s in the oven at the same time and therefore, the oven temperature. I do mine for 20 minutes at 200 ̊C (400 ̊F).
- If you are using a dish, you will need a loaf tin that measures about 20 cm x 10 cm (8” x 4”). Grease the tin with a little olive oil.
- Pack the stuffing in neatly and bake, uncovered, for 35 – 40 minutes at 200 ̊C (400 ̊F).
- If stuffing a bird, just cook your bird as usual and make sure that the middle of the stuffing is cooked through.
- Serve alongside your roast as usual, if cooked separately.
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: British