scallops on purple mash
- 12 scallops
- 4 medium potatoes, purple or otherwise, boiled & mashed with salt & pepper added
- small bowl of sauce – chilli sauce, flavoured mayonnaise
- 12 Thai basil leaves or your choice, according to how you flavoured the scallops, (lightly fried – optional)
- oil as needed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small garlic
- half an inch galangal
- half an inch ginger
- 1 lemongrass
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- juice of half a lime
- Pound all the marinade ingredients & marinate the scallops for about 20-30 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil until it’s smoking.
- Sauté the scallops, a few at a time, about 2 minutes each side. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Place a little mash on your serving dish.
- Top with a scallop.
- Add a dollop of sauce, top with a leaf. Some freshly ground black pepper will be a good last touch. Done.
Perfectly fine cold. Can be made an hour ahead.