- 1 tsp Japanese Sancho peppercorns or Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 tsp dried orange peel
- 2 Tbsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp Nori (roasted seaweed for sushi)
- half tsp ground ginger
Everything needs to be pounded or chopped in a chopper, then mixed together and stored.
- Place the peppercorns and orange peel in a small frying pan and dry roast for 1 – 2 minutes on medium-low heat until you get a lovely aroma. Don’t let it burn. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- While waiting for them to cool, let’s blitz everything else that needs to be milled. Place the chilli flakes and both the sesame seeds into a spice mil and blitz to a semi coarse grind. Place in a bowl. Don’t worry about the stubborn sesame seeds that stay whole, this just adds to the final flavour and texture.
- Tear up the nori and grind to a semi coarse texture in the spice mill. Add to the same bowl.
- Now blitz the orange peel and peppercorns to about the same size.
- Finally, mix everything together very well and store in a spice jar in a cool dry place, as you would your other spices.