Homemade Singapore Noodles or Singapore Mei Fun recipe. A quick dish of stir fried rice vermicelli noodles with a distinctive curry flavour.
- 400g (14oz) dried rice vermicelli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 spring onions (scallions)
- 200g (7oz) raw prawns (shrimps)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil PLUS a little more to drizzle
- 2 Tbsp mild curry powder
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 small carrot
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper)
- 2 handfuls Chinese cabbage (or any white cabbage)
- 6 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing rice wine (or any rice wine or dry sherry)
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Soak the noodles in hot water for 5-10 minutes, as discussed above. At the end of that time, drain, rinse in cold, tap water, drain and set aside. If you like, snip the noodles to manageable lengths for eating. I don’t, as it’s bad luck!
- Chop up the garlic finely and the spring onions into 5cm (2″) lengths.
- Grate the carrot, julienne the bell pepper and slice thinly the cabbage and shiitake.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients into a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in your wok on medium-high heat and pour in the eggs. Leave to set for 15 seconds, then lightly scramble for about 5-10 seconds, leaving the scrambled eggs still very soft and a little runny. Tip onto a plate and set aside until needed.
- Clean the wok and heat the 2 tsp pf the sesame oil on medium-high heat and fry the prawns for 20 seconds.
- Add the garlic and spring onions and fry for 10 seconds, then add the rest of the vegetables. Cook all this for 30 seconds, stirring on the medium-high heat continuously.
- Add the sauce, stir and cook for 20 seconds. Tip in the eggs in.
- Add the noodles, sprinkle the curry powder all over and stir thoroughly, mixing everything up, coating the noodles and scraping the bottom of the wok. Don’t cook for more than 2 minutes. The noodles ought to be done in 1 minute.
- Turn the heat off, drizzle a little sesame oil all over and serve up.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: chinese, easy recipes, noodles