Smen, a preserved butter found in Morocco and other parts of North Africa, is a tradition that dates back centuries.
- 450 g (1 lb) unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp coarse salt
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Strong Oregano tea
- Mix the salt thoroughly with the butter. If using oregano tea, add it now, and knead the butter until it’s all mixed in.
- Spoon into a clean jar and pack it in, pressing down to dispel any air pockets.
- Seal tightly and store in a cool place for a month to let it ferment.
- It should be ready after a month.
- Once opened, store in the fridge and use within a month.
- Category: Ingredients
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Moroccan (North African)
Keywords: homemade, moroccan, ingredients