Temari Sushi is balls of sushi rice wrapped up in anything you like – thinly sliced fish, avocado, omelette, prawns or my favourite, smoked salmon.
- 150g sushi rice
- 250ml water
- 250g smoked salmon, cut into 1.5″ squares (roughly)
- salmon roe (optional)
- shiso (perilla) leaves or dill
- wasabi powder or wasabi paste
- 200g crème fraîche, mixed with the wasabi powder or paste, to taste
- 30ml rice vinegar
- 1tsp sugar
- generous pinch salt
- 24–30 squares of cling film, about 3“-4” square
- a bowl of cold water
- Rinse the rice in some cold water until it runs clear, then drain.
- Place the rice in a saucepan, add the 250ml of water and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Lower heat, put a lid on and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and leave to stand, covered, for another 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, dish the rice out onto a large, flat plate. Sprinkle the cooled sushi-su on the rice and mix thoroughly with a couple of wooden spoons.
- Leave the rice to cool completely.
- Place everything in a small saucepan, heat on lowest setting for 2-3 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Stir, take off heat and leave to cool completely before using.
- Place one of the cling film squares on the palm of your hand, followed by a salmon square.
- Wet you hands, take a small portion of sushi rice, squeeze into a ball and place in the centre of the salmon.
- Wipe your hands if you need to, join the corners of the cling film and twist to form a tight ball, see picture, leave aside.
- Repeat with all the salmon pieces.
- Place a dollop of wasabi cream onto whatever serving plate/spoon you’re using.
- Place a temari sushi on the wasabi cream and top the sushi with your choice of topping, in this case, a leaf and some salmon roe. You can also have just a spring onion, look at the top picture and you’ll see that the cream is on top of the sushi with the slither of spring onion.
Total time doesn’t take into account the cooling down of the rice.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Calories: 206.71 kcal
- Sugar: 1.66 g
- Sodium: 349.3 mg
- Fat: 8.52 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.26 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.5 g
- Fiber: 0.0 g
- Protein: 9.96 g
- Cholesterol: 26.92 mg