A delicious creamy soup topped with smoky, spicy prawns
Hot Smoky Prawns
- 12 – 18 large tiger prawns
- half tsp hot smoked paprika
- pinch chilli flakes or chilli powder
- half tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil or as needed
- 500g Jerusalem Artichokes
- 30g/roughly 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 500ml/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock, homemade or good shop bought
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 100ml/7 tbsp crème fraîche
- a drizzle of chilli oil or some chilli flakes
- a slice of bread, toasted and crumbled
- chopped fresh parsley
- Season the prawns with the paprika, chilli, salt and lime/lemon juice and set aside while you get the artichokes going.
- Peel and chop the artichokes into little cubes.
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the artichokes, leeks and garlic for 10 minutes, stirring frequently and lowering the heat down if they begin to brown at the edges.
- Add the stock and bay leaf and bring to boil. Simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes or so, until the artichokes are soft and almost falling apart.
- Season with a little pepper and check salt content. You shouldn’t need any salt.
- Transfer the whole lot into a blender and blitz to form a smooth puree.
- Transfer back into the warm saucepan.
- Loosen the crème fraîche with a ladle of the velouté, then add it to the contents of the saucepan and mix thoroughly. Check seasoning but it should be perfect at this stage.
- Keep warm while you get the prawns done.
- Let’s cook the prawns in batches, how many, depends on the size of your pan, we’ll be quickly searing and charring the prawns.
- Heat the oil on high heat and when it’s hot, add some of the prawns in and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side until just done. You want the skin slightly blackened, this will contribute to the final flavour.
- Set aside and keep warm while you cook the rest of the prawns.
- Ladle the velouté into individual soup bowls and top with 2-3 prawns per person.
- Drizzle some chilli oil or sprinkle some chilli flakes over. Top with some fresh parsley and the crumbled toast for some contrast in texture.
How many prawns per diner does depend on the size of the prawns and how generous you’re feeling!
- Serving Size: 6