This Spaghetti with Smoked Haddock and Baby Radicchio Grumolo is going to be a super quick post, because, for a change, I don’t have a whole lot to say about the recipe. Yes, yes, I hear that sigh of relief!
I had some smoked haddock over the weekend which I’d been planning to use in a Persian recipe, Sabzi Polo Mahi, which is Herbed Rice with Fish. However, the day kind of got away from me, and before I knew it, it was 4 pm. After a longer run than usual that morning, I was too exhausted to make anything that needed thinking. But the smoked haddock needed using up. So here we are, you’ll just have to hang on for the Persian rice recipe and settle for this impromptu one instead!
One of my go-to lazy recipes besides noodles is pasta. Same kinda thing, right? So this is what I ended up making with the smoked haddock that day. I also happened to have had some beautiful baby Radicchio Grumolo, a wild, colourful variety of radicchio. So in they went. Click here to read just a little bit more about these pretty little Italian vegetables.
The recipe is super easy to make; 8-10 minutes to cook the pasta, then about 3 minutes more to put everything together. If you don’t have any radicchio at hand, use any vegetables you fancy, spinach, beans, kale or even some carrots for a touch of sweet. If you like quick and easy, you’ll love this one!
Have a superb week, everyone!
- Enough spaghetti for 2 (about 150 g/5 oz)
- 1 Tbsp EV olive oil
- 300 g ( 10.5 oz) undyed smoked haddock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 100 g (3.5 oz) radicchio grumolo
- half tsp red chilli flakes, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- juice of half a lemon
- 5 sprigs of parsley, chopped finely
- Cook the spaghetti as on the packet instructions.
- Cut the roots off the radicchio grumolo and separate the leaves, then rinse them. Set aside.
- Flake the haddock with 2 forks into bitesized pieces and set aside. It should be easy enough to do.
- About 3 minutes from the end of the spaghetti cooking time, heat the olive oil on medium high heat, in a large frying pan.
- Add the haddock and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the garlic, fry for 20 seconds.
- Drain the spaghetti and add to the frying pan.
- Save one handful of the radicchio grumolo and add the rest to the pan with the spaghetti.
- Stir vigorously and mix thoroughly for 1 minute.
- Take off the heat, add the pepper flakes and freshly ground black pepper. You shouldn’t need any salt as the haddock would have been salty enough.
- Serve the pasta onto 2 plates, squeeze the lemon juice all over both plates of pasta, followed by the parsley and the reserved radicchio and serve immediately.
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 2