- 350g plain flour
- 200g butter
- 180g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla paste/extract or flavouring of your choice
- Cream butter and sugar in your table top mixer or with a hand held beater until pale and creamy.
- Add egg and continue to beat until it’s mixed well.
- Add the flavouring, beat in.
- Add the flour and beat until you get a dough. Use your hands at this stage if you have to but DO NOT KNEAD, you’ll end up with rubbery cookies.
- Divide the dough into 2 and flatten into discs, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Line your work surface with baking paper and get one one of the dough portions out. Place the same cling film on the dough and roll it out to a thickness of about 4-5mm. The cling film with stop the dough from sticking to your rolling pin (my granny’s trick).
- Slide the baking paper with the dough onto a baking sheet and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to harden. This will allow you to cut and move the shapes easily.
- Cut the shapes out and place on baking sheet, leaving about an inch of space all around.
- Back in the fridge for 30 minutes (I know!). Turn the oven on to 180˚C/Fan 160˚C.
- After 30 minutes, bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. Definitely check at 10!
- Cool completely before icing.
Click here for How To Decorate Cookies and the Icing recipe.
- Serving Size: Makes about 20 cookies.