– 1.1 lb brussels sprouts – 2-3 fresh chorizo (use 3 if your chorizo is small) cured will do too, if that's all you can get – ½ tsp salt – freshly ground black pepper – 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice about ½ a lemon
Parboil the Brussels Sprouts (can be done on Christmas Eve)
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to boil with 1 Tbsp of the salt.
2. Trim, rinse and halve the brussels sprouts. Then drop them into the boiling water, lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Drain, and rinse in cold water (from the tap) to stop them from cooking any further. Set aside.
2. Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and sauté the chorizo for 1-2 minutes to render the fat. This fat from the chorizo is precious, it’s full of flavor and spice, and is what we’re using to sauté the sprouts.
3. When the fat has seeped out of the sausages, tip in the drained brussels sprouts. Increase the heat to high. Mix the sprouts and chorizo pieces, then leave everything untouched, for 1 minute.
4. Then, mix everything up again, and repeat, leave it untouched for 1 minute. Once the sprouts have taken on some color and have browned bits, they are done. You only need about 2-3 minutes to do this. Taste, and add the half teaspoon salt if you need it.
5. Take off the heat, and finish off with some freshly ground blackpepper and the lemon juice.