Nothing could be simpler! Grilled Peppers are perfect as starters and for salads; of course, I love adding them to my cooking, in place of fresh ones. A mixture of colours is always best for effect. Great to make it the day before, adding herb or herbs of your choice (parsley, basil, rosemary) and marinate overnight. If you are marinating it, add enough olive oil to completely cover the peppers. The oil can then be used for cooking as per usual but will have an added flavour to it.
Small amount olive oil
pinch of salt
1. Turn the grill on.
2. Slice the peppers into 4-5 parts and get rid of the seeds.
3. Rub all over with salt and olive oil.
4. Place under the grill, skin side down. Grill for about 5-10 minutes (really depends on the heat of your grill), until the skin blackens and perhaps start to blister. It’s supposed to look burnt.
5. Turn over and grill for about half the time, as this side doesn’t have a skin, you don’t want it too brown.
6. Traditional method will have you place them in a bag and seal completely until cool to facilitate removal of the skin. But I’ve never needed to do this, the skin peels off quite easily.
7. As mentioned, when cool, peel the skin off and slice thinly or to the size you’d like.
Serve as needed. I use it for:
Pesto Panna Cotta and as mentioned, great for salads.