Sweet Chilli Sauce is one of those ubiquitous sauces sold in bottles or jars as either Chinese or Thai. It is what it say – sweet and not spicy, so the chillies used are usually the milder variety. But of course, that doesn’t mean that you can’t make it sweet and spicy!
When I was growing up in Singapore, this was often served as a dip with savoury snacks in the afternoons. It’s still one of my favourite nostalgic indulgences. Fantastic as a dip with spring rolls and prawn crackers but also makes a great base or topping for little canapés. See the Amuse-Bouche and Canapés page for ideas.Print
- 5 large red chillies
- 125 ml (half cup) water
- 100 g (3.5 oz) white sugar
- 4 Tbsp Chinese Rice vinegar or ordinary clear vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Mix everything together in a saucepan on medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Lower heat down and continue to simmer for 10 minutes until it’s thickened.
- Check seasoning and that’s it!