Estimated reading time: 1 minute
Am impressive amuse-bouche but will just as easily work as a starter, this individual scallop platter has spicy, Indian notes to it. High fat, not for the faint hearted!
I usually fry my aubergines for this because it produces a richer taste but feel free to grill them instead, to cut down on the amount of fat used.
Shall we get our aprons on?
If you like the recipe, don’t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating! Thank you!
And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor, and hashtag it #linsfood
Scallop Platter – an Amuse-Bouche
- 1 medium aubergine/eggplant
- 6 fresh scallops cleaned and dried
- 1 Tbsp curry powder mild or hot, to taste
- 100 ml coconut milk medium strength
- 1 medium onion halved then sliced
- 1 tsp ginger and garlic paste or 1 inch ginger & 1 clove garlic, pounded
- a dash of chilli powder mild or hot, to taste
- salt to taste
- vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp toasted coconut flakes
- coriander or other herb to decorate
- Slice the aubergines in 1" thick rounds.
- Take a medium sized frying pan and fill it with enough oil to about 1" depth. Or use a smaller pan to save oil and fry in 2 batches. Heat on high heat.
- When hot, carefully place the aubergine slices in, stay at arm's length as it will splutter. Lower the heat to medium.
- Cook on each side for a total of 8 minute.
- Drain on kitchen paper for about 5 minutes while you get on with the sauce.
- We'll be using the same pan. Lose all the oil, wipe the pan with kitchen paper and pour the coconut milk in. Heat on medium, remember, coconut milk will curdle at a rolling boil.
- Add the onions & quarter tsp salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the aubergines & simmer for about 5 minutes, we want the aubergines to still maintain a little character and not turn to mush. Attend to the scallops.
- Take a small frying pan and heat the coconut oil on high heat.
- Add the scallops, sprinkle the chilli powder and some salt all over and sear them, about 2 minutes each side by which time your aubergines will be done.
TO SERVE IMMEDIATELY
- Carefully, lift each aubergine with a flat spatula and place on a small, warm plate.
- Top each aubergine with some onions.
- Place a scallop on top and decorate with coriander or whatever herb you prefer. A small slither of pineapple will add a different dimension to it.
- Sprinkle a little of the toasted coconut flakes.