Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
I love beef and I love pesto, so combining the two, much like our pesto panna cotta (image below), was an inevitable happenstance!
Baked pesto meatballs make a great alternative flavour to your regular meatball pasta dish but one of my favourite ways of serving them is also as a canapé, at the end of a cocktail stick, with either a piece of cheese, cucumber or marinated/roasted tomato.
You’ll find the recipe for homemade pesto here, it’s a 5 minute job, so, please do make it yourself.
For more Italian recipes, head on over to the Italian page, for favourites like:
Shall we get our aprons on?
If you like the recipe, don’t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating! Thank you!
And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor, and hashtag it #linsfood
Baked Pesto Meatballs (Perfect in sauce or as Canapé)
- 500 g minced beef
- 100 g pesto, preferably home made
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 80 g white breadcrumbs, about 3 slices of bread
- 60 g Parmesan cheese, grated
- small handful of flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil depending on how fatty your meat is
- 400 g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion sliced
- half each green and red capsicum, sliced, fresh or chargrilled
- 2 tomatoes in rounds, or handful roasted
- 2 Tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil if needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the meatball ingredients (apart from the oil) in a large bowl.
- Make medium sized balls, you should get about 2 dozen.
- Heat the oil on medium high heat and brown the meatballs, turning them, for about 2 minutes each side. Do this in batches, no overcrowding as you want the meatballs to fry not stew.
- Place all the meatballs, in a single layer, in a large, oven proof dish and turn the oven on to 180˚C (350˚F).
- We'll be using the same pan for the sauce. If there is much fat left, tip all but 1 tbsp of it out. Add the 1 tbsp of olive oil if not. Heat this on medium heat.
- Fry the onions for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add everything else in and bring to a simmer. Check seasoning.
- Pour this sauce all over the meatballs and bake in the hot oven for 25-30 minutes, at which point the sauce will be bubbling at the edges.
- Serve with pasta, bread or rice.
- Some mozzarella will go very nicely if serving the Baked Pesto Meatballs with pasta or bread.