If you love creamy, indulgent cocktails, you’re going to love this festive take on a classic – Christmas Alexander! But don’t let its easy going manner fool you; this cocktail takes no prisoners – it will knock your socks off. In more ways than one!
The original Alexander is a dessert cocktail that is believed to have been created by Troy Alexander in Rectors in New York, in the early 20th century. Apparently, it was made to celebrate a fictional character, Phoebe Snow, who was always dressed in white. Hence the original Alexander was a white drink, containing clear Crème de Cacao, gin and cream.
Concoctions made with dark Crème de Cacao will, naturally be darker.
What is Crème de Cacao?
Crème de Cacao is a chocolate or cocoa liqueur that comes in either a clear or caramel-brown shade. Despite the word “crème” in it, it doesn’t have any dairy, the term is meant to reflect the smoothness of the drink.
The Alexander has spawned many variations over the years:
- most notably, the Brandy Alexander, in which brandy replaces the gin, and which has proven to be more popular than the original
- Coffee Alexander
- Blue Alexander, in the latter, Curaçao replaces the chocolate liqueur
Our Christmas Alexander Cocktail Recipe
I fancied making a Christmas cocktail. I went about it back to front though; I thought of the name, then created the cocktail! Christmas Alexander seemed like a cool name that just stuck and refused to be left alone. It even chased me in my dreams!
Seriously. I had a dream about adding Baileys to the mix, and that, I guess, was it.
The result? The Christmas Alexander is a delicious blend of creamy chocolate devil in disguise. It goes down so smoothly and tastes so perfectly innocent because of the cream. You’ll finish the glass before you know it, then realise maybe you should have sipped the damn thing! Because it’s gone straight t your head!
So impress your guests this holiday season with this very merry festive drink!
Let’s get mixing, shall we?
♥ Do you like this recipe? Please give it a 5-star rating below! And when you make it, share it on Instagram or any other social medium and tag me @azlinbloor. Cheers! … Lin ♥Print
Christmas Alexander – celebrate the holidays with this indulgent but potent take on the classic, with Baileys!
- 30ml (1 fl oz/2 Tbsp) crème de cacao (of your choice, clear or dark)
- 30ml (1 fl oz/2 Tbsp) single cream
- 60ml (2 fl oz/4 Tbsp) Baileys
- a drop of vanilla extract
- a handful ice cubes
- a little freshly grated nutmeg
- Place the crème de cacao, brandy, Baileys and ice cubes in a mixer and shake it up to mix and chill the drink.
- Strain into the prepared glass.
- Top with a light sprinkling of freshly grated nutmeg.
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: Irish
- Serving Size: 1