Cioccolata Calda recipe, the best hot chocolate ever! Luxuriously thick, with a touch of bitter, a hint of sweet, this is chocolate with an attitude.
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
What is Cioccolata Calda?
It’s Italian Hot Chocolate.
In fact, Cioccolata Calda is the best hot chocolate ever! Luxuriously thick, with a touch of bitter and a hint of sweet, this is hot chocolate with an attitude. Big time! Once you’ve tasted this, all else will pale in comparison. It’s so good, it might as well be dessert!
How to Pronounce Cioccolata Calda?
Want to know how to say it right?
Chaw-ko(h)-LAH-ta(h) KAHL-da(h) – (h in parenthesis aren’t pronounced)
Phonetically: /ʧɔːkəʊlɑːtɑː/ /kɑːldɑː/
Cioccolata Calda Recipe
It’s a very easy recipe to make, taking only about 5-10 minutes.
All you need to make Cioccolata Calda at home is:
- dark chocolate
- cocoa powder
- cornflour (corn starch in the US)
No longer will you reach out for those chocolate powders; because if one is to drink chocolate, this is how is should be drunk!
Cioccolata Calda is hugely popular in our house, I always have to make extra for the little people. It is also the base or part of the recipe of a few other Italian drinks like Bicerin, which is unique to Turin in Italy.
In fact, I was about to post the Bicerin recipe, when it occurred to me that I’d better do the hot chocolate first! I figured my readers would thank me for it! Or not, because a sip is not enough!
And here’s a quick video to show you just how easy it is!
Mid April, and if you’re in the northern hemisphere, there’s just enough of a chill in the air to warrant making this Italian hot chocolate drink. But you better hurry, or you may have to tarry till autumn! For those of you at the other end of the world, you have all the time to enjoy it!
Let me know what you think of it!
Shall we get our aprons on?
If you like the recipe and article, don’t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating! Thank you!
And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor, and hashtag it #linsfood.
Cioccolata Calda – Italian Hot Chocolate
- 250 ml whole milk (full fat)
- 60 g dark chocolate, min 70% cocoa broken up or grated
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cornflour cornstarch
- Double heavy cream whipped if you like
- Take 2 tablespoons of the milk and form a paste with the cornflour (cornstarch) and set aside.
- Pour the rest of the milk into a small saucepan or milk pan over medium-low heat.
- After a minute or so, when the milk is warm (but not simmering), add the dark chocolate, reduce heat to low and whisk to melt the chocolate.
- Add the sugar and sift the cocoa powder over the chocolate drink and whisk to mix.
- Now, stir the cornflour mix with a spoon to dislodge what's settled at the bottom, and pour it onto the hot chocolate, whisking while doing so, to thicken the hot chocolate.
- That's it. You have a homemade Cioccolata Calda. Serve it with some cream or as it is. You can whip the cream if you like, and swirl the top of the hot chocolate with it.