Estimated reading time: 1 minute
This makes about 1 litre of custard. It really is simplicity itself and so much better than anything shop bought.
Shall we get cooking?
If you like the recipe, don’t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating! Thank you!
And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor.
- 500 ml whole milk
- 600 ml double cream
- 8 egg yolks save the whites for a meringue?
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 vanilla pod
- Heat the milk and cream on medium-high heat.
- Add the vanilla pod and half the sugar to the milk mixture and bring it to a simmer. Scrape the vanilla seeds into the milk mixture.
- Take it off the heat and let it cool as you attend to the eggs.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a mixing bowl with the rest of the sugar and cornflour until pale looking.
- Very slowly, add the milk to the egg yolks, whisking all the time.
- Transfer everything back into the saucepan and heat it very gently, until it thickens, about 5 minutes.