Homemade Custard recipe. So easy to make, and miles better than anything shop bought.
- 500ml (2 cups) whole milk
- 600ml (2 2/5 cups) double cream
- 8 egg yolks (save the whites for a meringue?)
- 100g (3.5 oz) caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 vanilla pod
- Heat the milk and cream on medium-high heat.
- Add the vanilla pod and half the sugar to the milk mixture and bring it to a simmer. Scrape the vanilla seeds into the milk mixture.
- Take it off the heat and let it cool as you attend to the eggs.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a mixing bowl with the rest of the sugar and cornflour until pale looking.
- Very slowly, add the milk to the egg yolks, whisking all the time.
- Transfer everything back into the saucepan and heat it very gently, until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
If not using immediately, cover with clingfilm, letting the film touch the surface of the custard, cool then refrigerate.
I have made this up to 2 days in advance. Reheat on low heat or in microwave.
- Category: Desserts
- Cuisine: British