This Ginger and Chilli Syrup is a favourite ingredient of mine for use in both cocktails and mocktails. It goes amazingly in so many different drinks, and with so many liqueurs: gin, tequila, Cointreau, Triple Sec and, naturally, vodka.
You’ll find it used in this Full Moon Party Gin Cocktail:
It is a simple case of simmering some ginger, sugar and a small fresh chilli, strain and you’ve got yourself a beautiful cocktail and mocktail ingredient.
The ginger sugar syrup can be taken in so many directions. Last summer, I made some ginger and lavender syrup for this Lavender, Lemongrass and Ginger Spritzer:
I’ve also made a Ginger, Chilli and Sichuan Peppercorn Syrup, as well as a Ginger and Smoked Chilli Syrup, which is just fantastic with tequila.
It goes without saying that you can use a milder chilli, or use less chilli to get a mild syrup (and vice versa).
How would you use this Ginger and Chilli Syrup?Print
Ginger and Chilli Syrup for Cocktails and Mocktails
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 200g (1 cup) white sugar
- 120g (4oz) fresh ginger
- 1 bird’s eye chilli, sliced (or something mild, and less of)
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat right down and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Leave to cool, then strain into a clean jar. Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Category: Ingredients
- Serving Size: Makes just over 1/2 a cup