Really, really easy to make, doesn’t need a recipe, just a case of dry roasting however much your recipe calls for.
If you can’t find fresh or frozen grated coconut, unsweetened desiccated coconut will do perfectly.
Recipes using Kerisik
Kerisik is toasted, pounded desiccated coconut, used as an enriching ingredient in many dishes in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.
- fresh grated coconut
OR defrosted frozen grated coconut
- Heat a frying pan on medium-low heat and dry fry your shredded coconut for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- If you find that some bits are browning too quickly, turn the heat down.
- When done, leave to cool slightly.
- Pound in a pestle and mortar or place in a spice mill and blitz until you get the consistency of brown sugar. That’s it!
- Category: Ingredients
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Singaporean, Malaysian and Indonesian
Keywords: kerisik, malaysian, coconut