Estimated reading time: 1 minute
One of my favourite childhood dishes, my mum used to love making this on Sundays, sometimes with rice and sometimes with chapatis.
This is a fairly spicy recipe, given the hot chilli powder & black pepper but you can always substitute the chilli powder for a mild one.
As always, chicken on the bone is much better than off, perfect with all manner of flatbread, rice and especially french baguette!
Perfect with Taboon bread too.
So, shall we get our aprons on?
If you like the recipe, don’t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating! Thank you!
And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor, and hashtag it #linsfood
Pepper chicken, a fairly spicy recipe, given the hot chilli powder and black pepper but you can always substitute the chilli powder for a mild one.Print Pin Add to Collection Go to Collections
Servings: to 6
- 500 g chicken
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic pounded
- 2½ cm ginger pounded
- 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- ½ tsp hot chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 large tomatoes coarsely chopped (I do this in a chopper)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 200 ml water
- handful of fresh chopped coriander (cilantro)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on high heat.
- When hot, sprinkle the sugar all over and count to 10!
- Add the onions, stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger, stir and cook for another 1 minute or so.
- Add the tomatoes, pepper, chilli powder and turmeric and stir well. Let cook for about 5 minutes, at which point you'll get a wonderful cooked aroma from it.
- Add the chicken, coat thoroughly and cook for about 5 minutes, to let the meat absorb some of that wonderful tomato spice.
- Add the water, bring to boil and cook, covered, for 30-45 minutes depending on part and size of chicken used.
- When the chicken is done, add the garam masala, stir and turn the heat off.
- Scatter the fresh coriander all over and serve with rice or roti.
Calories: 343kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 399mg | Potassium: 486mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 688IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg
Did you make this recipe?Mention @azlinbloor and tag #linsfood!
Made it? Upload your photosMention @azlinbloor and tag #linsfood!
1 thought on “How to cook Perfect Pepper Chicken”
This black pepper chicken sounds delicious! Hard to resist,really!