This Warm Baby Potato and Asparagus Salad is one of my favourite late spring/early summer salads, when fresh asparagus is everywhere and the early season potatoes begin to hit the shelves.
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Table of contents
Potato and Asparagus Salad
This salad is also perfect for barbecues. I toss both the potatoes and the asparagus on the barbie with the dressing all ready on the condiment table. Then, when the vegetables are done, either everything goes into a bowl to be tossed, or each person can help themselves to the barbecued vegetables, and top with a drizzle of the dressing.
The potatoes can also be finished off in the oven or under a grill (broiler), if you prefer. All we are doing, is adding some charred notes to the potatoes, it makes for a more delicious end result, than just boiled potatoes.
I’ve added a teaspoon of mayonnaise to the dressing for just a touch of indulgence. If truth be told, it doesn’t need it and is perfectly delicious without.
Outside of asparagus season, or if you are not a fan, this salad can still be enjoyed with just the potatoes or with peas or any type of green beans.
And that’s about it, quick and easy.
Shall we get our aprons on?
If you like the recipe, don’t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating! Thank you!
And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor, and hashtag it #linsfood.
Warm Baby Potatoes and Asparagus Salad
- 500 g baby potatoes
- 2 dozen stalks of asparagus
- salt as needed
- 1 tsp EV olive oil
- 2 spring onions scallions, sliced not too thinly
- 1 Tbsp EV olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar or any vinegar of your choice
- 1 tsp mayonnaise optional
- freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the salad dressing and set aside while you get the vegetables cooking.
- Half fill a medium saucepan with water and 1 tsp salt and bring to boil.
- Clean and halve the potatoes and add to the boiling water.
- Bring back to boil and cook for about 8-10 minutes until the potatoes are just cooked. A knife should glide through easily.
- Drain the potatoes and leave them to air dry for a couple of minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Sauté the potatoes for 5 minutes, tossing them and allowing them to brown and char as much as possible. This step can also be done in the oven, under a grill or on a barbecue.
- While the potatoes are browning, bring another saucepan of water to boil, with a pinch of salt.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain and rinse in cold water for a few seconds to stop them from cooking further. Drain and leave to dry.
- Place the potatoes and asparagus in a salad bowl and drizzle the dressing all over. Toss very, very gently to mix, being careful not to break the potatoes.
- Scatter the spring onions all over and serve immediately.
36 thoughts on “Warm Baby Potato and Asparagus Salad”
I just love the sound of this salad, Lin! It’s perfect for bbq season!
I love a warm potato salad and asparagus is one of my favourite veggies, can’t wait to try this.
This looks so good. Perfect meal.
WOW it looks so tasty! I´m so hungry now
Yum! I love asparagus and potatoes, so this is like my dream dish! I am totally going to try this!
I love potatoes and asparagus together. Finishing off the potatoes on the grill is a great idea and makes this dish perfect for outdoor dining.
Fantastic. My boys love potatoes and asparagus so this salad is going to be the star of the dinner table tomorrow. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
I’m allergic to asparagus, so I’d probably sub crisp green beans for this recipe. This looks like a nice summer recipe that’s perfect for outdoor gatherings.
simple to cook and very fast! The nutrient content will also make you healthy!
Every time I read a post of yours; you make me hungry! Like always, this looks amazing! I am going to make this for my family!
Thank you so much Wendy!
I was afraid you didn’t season these bad boys until I scrolled down and saw the dressing lol. That dressing sounds perfect. Definitely going to try this one.
Lol, that would’ve been BAD! x
Warm potato is also my favorite. And is also paired with my favorite wine.
I love it too!
This is such a great combo salad! Love the recipe and I’m going to make this over the weekend. Perfect to go with BBQ
Thank you, and yes perfect with and on the barbie!
Potatoes and asparagus are a great combo! This looks delicious and would be a great side.
They sure are, thank you!
This recipe looks really good. I love asparagus.
Thank you, me too!
This looks like a great recipe! I love warm potato salad, especially when it has vinegar in it.
Thank you, there’s just something about vinegar!
Wow it’s really spring & almost summer … so yes, I want to try serving asparagus with potatoes.
Almost at the end of spring now!
It looks so good and I’d love to prepare this one of these days for me and my husband. I am used to making potato salad during the summer and I’d love to try this recipe of yours.
Thank you Carol!
This looks so delicious and easy to make. I will have to get the ingredients I need to make some this weekend.
YES this looks delicious – and so simple!
Warm potato salad sounds so yummy. I need to make this for my next potluck event.
It sure is!
This salad sounds wonderful. I can’t wait to make this for the party I am having this weekend.
Wow, that looks delicious! I would love to make this for my next cookout.
Thanks Crystal, let me know how it goes.