Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Bread Sauce is a traditional Christmas accompaniment to roast, one of many superb British sauces that I just have to have during the holiday season. No Christmas table should be without it! Its almost bland creaminess is the perfect foil to all the other highly seasoned dishes around.
There are similarities to the Onion Sauce or Soubise Sauce, most notably, in the colour but the difference is that in Bread Sauce, the onion only acts as a flavouring, while in the former, onions are part of the final sauce.
A homemade bread sauce is so, so easy and, need I say it? Tastes so much better that anything you buy in carton, whether labelled fresh or not. And as you can make it the day before, it would be a crime to go without or the shop bought route!
Make Ahead Bread Sauce
This can be made a day ahead – don’t add the butter and cream. Cool, cover with clingfilm, letting the film touch the sauce. When ready to serve, reheat, adding the butter and cream.
Now, shall we get our aprons on?
If you like the recipe, don’t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating! Thank you!
And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor, and hashtag it #linsfood.
- 500 ml milk
- 5 slices white bread crusts removed, in coarse crumbs
- 1 medium onion
- 8 cloves
- 10 black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 5 Tbsp double cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the crusts from the bread, place in a food chopper and pulse, to get coarse crumbs.
- Stick the cloves in the onion.Then place the milk, onion (with the cloves on), peppercorns, salt and bay leaves in a saucepan and bring to boil on a high heat.
- Grate some nutmeg over. Keep an eye on the milk as it will boil over.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let it sit for 30 minutes, for the flavours to develop.
- Strain the milk into a clean saucepan and put it back on high heat. Once it's come to boil, reduce to low heat and add the breadcrumbs.
- Stir until the breadcrumbs have dissolved then add the butter and cream to it.
- Season with salt (if needed) and pepper and serve with roast.