This classy fig appetiser is an easy recipe that combines the sweet, honeyed flavour of figs, with the smoky, savoury sweetness of the bacon jam and the creamy, piquant brie. An explosion of flavours in every mouthful!
Table of contents
Fig Appetiser Recipe
A quick search online will reveal countless recipes for all things fig: stuffed, topped and wrapped. And I’ve long wanted to add to that growing list!
I love the combination of sweet and savoury, and figs topped with chutneys is a favourite quick party recipe on my dinner table. Since I had beef bacon jam from the last post, and my 4-year old fig tree is sooo happy this year, today’s fig appetiser recipe just had to happen.
Beef Bacon Jam
The bacon jam in today’s fig appetiser was my last post, a reader requested recipe, many times over. Beef bacon jam (or chutney) is a delicious condiment of smoky, tangy and sweet flavours that makes a great sandwich filler, topping, dip (kind of) and all-round flavour enhancer!
Bacon jam, whether made from beef bacon of regular bacon, is probably not something you’re going to find easily in shops, so homemade is the way to go. I made the jam, I had to come up with a recipe for you readers to use it in. Right?
And, yes, you can make the bacon jam with regular bacon.
What Cheese Goes Best with Figs?
Figs are very cheese friendly and are delicious with so many different types of cheese like our creamy brie, to blue cheeses to parmesan.
So if you like, you can use other types of cheese on our fig appetiser; stilton is another particular favourite of mine.
No Bacon Jam for our Fig Appetiser?
You can use any thick chutney you like, or even just plain bacon strips, salami, prosciutto, smoked salmon. Branston pickle and most fruit chutney would work so well good with this fig appetiser.
That’s it, super easy, no thinking required recipe. Shall we get our aprons on?
More Appetisers on LinsFood
♥ If you like the recipe, don’t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating! 😉 Thank you! ♥
And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor, and hashtag it #linsfood
Fig Appetiser with Beef Bacon Jam and Brie
- baking tray
- Grill (broiler)
- 4 figs ripe, but not too soft
- 100 g beef bacon jam or regular bacon jam
- 100 g brie
- 2 Tbsp honey or to your taste
- Turn the grill (broiler) on to medium-high (about ¾ of the way up).
- Halve the figs and lay them on their backs on a baking tray.
- Slice up 8 pieces of brie, about an inch (2.5 cm) thick. Set aside. Get rid of the rind if you prefer. As you can see, I've left it. Getting rid of the brie skin will allow the whole cheese to melt completely, which may result in most of it on the baking pan.
- Top each fig half with a teaspoonful of bacon jam.
- Top all the figs with a brie slice each.
- Place the fig filled baking tray under the grill for just 2-3 minutes until the brie is melting. Serve as they are on the baking tray, or transfer to a prettier dish. The figs will cool down pretty quickly and will be fine served at room temperature.