A reader request, for those of you who don’t have access to them, here’s the promised tutorial!
Slivered almonds and slivered pistachios are essential ingredients in my kitchen. We use them as toppings on so many dishes, both sweet and savoury: on rice, on stews, on puddings and on cakes.
I can get them easily here in the UK, both at the Indian grocers some 30 minutes away, as well as online. And since I use them a lot, for my blog, my classes and my clients, I tend to buy them in bulk. However, some years ago, I was caught out on one particular occasion. I needed some slivered pistachios, and didn’t have any, so ended having to make some before proceeding with the recipe.
What are slivered almonds?
Slivered almonds are almonds that have been peeled, split in half, then cut into tiny strips (slivers). Sliced almonds are just almonds that have been sliced, holding their oblong shape.
What are slivered pistachios?
Ditto here. Slivered pistachios are pistachios that have been split, then sliced into tiny strips (slivers). They are so much more effective than chopped pistachios. The greener and more vibrant your pistachios, the more stunning they will be visually. So always look for super green looking pistachios for making slivered pistachios.
How to Blanch, Split and Sliver Almonds and Pistachios
So many of you, have, over the years, asked me how to make slivered almonds and slivered pistachios at home, as not everyone of you has access to them. This is how we do it:
- Soak the nuts in hot water
- Peel the nuts (in seconds), almonds just slip out of their skins
- Split in half
- Cut into tiny slivers
How to use slivered almonds and slivered pistachios?
As mentioned above, they make a great topping or garnish for any number of dishes, savoury and sweet. Here are just some ideas:
- ice cream
- rice pudding
- tarts – sweet and savoury
- rice and cous cous
Sound easy to you? Let’s get to it!
And here are some recipes for you to use your slivered nuts in:
How to Make Slivered Almonds and Slivered Pistachios
♥ Do you like this recipe? Please give it a 5-star rating below! And when you make it, share it on any social medium and tag me @azlinbloor. Thank you! ♥Print
Easy tutorial to make slithered almonds and slithered pistachios at home.
- a handful of raw almonds or pistachios
- 1 medium bowl of hot water (let the water rest for 1 minute after boiling)
- some kitchen paper
- a knife & chopping board
- Place your nuts in the bowl and top with hot water. Leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain the nuts and place on some kitchen paper.
- Either using just your hands or a dry kitchen paper, slowly squeeze the nuts to remove the skin. Almonds are super easy. As you can see in the video, they will just slide out. Pistachios may need a little help, you may need to peel use your nails to peel the skin off, it depends on the age of the pistachios. But it should still be easy. Discard the skin.
- Either using your clean nails or a small paring knife, find the middle line on the nuts and split them apart. See video.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the nut halves into thin strips (slithers).
- Spread the slithered almonds or slithered pistachios on a plate in a single layer and leave them to dry, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Store in an airtight container and use within 3 months. I keep mine in the fridge to keep them fresh longer.
- Category: Ingredients