Spice Between the Sheets is my delicious twist on the original. With deliciously spicy, citrusy and oak-y notes, this slightly tart drink is going to be your new favourite!
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Table of contents
What is Spice Between The Sheets?
Spice Between the Sheets is a spiced rum cocktail, with Grand Marnier and lemon juice.
I was reading a book recently and one of the scenes was in a bar, in which one of the characters had a drink called Between the Sheets. My mind immediately went to the spiced rum bottle I’d recently received for a feature on Instagram, Rumbullion Spiced Rum.
Cue lightbulb moment!
SPICE Between the Sheets – in technicolour!
The Original Between the Sheets Cocktail
Have you heard of it? It’s the lesser known cousin of the Sidecar, and was apparently created sometime in the 1920s in Harry’s New York Bar in Paris. It starts off as the sidecar, with cognac, triple sec and lemon juice, then has a light hand of rum added to it. Its name is a direct reflection of its potency.
And that playful name and potency is carried over to my twist: Spice Between the Sheets.
And I exercised a little artistic license by playing with the actual liqueurs too. This is what I did:
- I started with the spiced rum. I’m using Rumbullion Spiced Rum (click to get on Amazon). But you can use anything you like, but make sure it’s spiced rum.
- But instead of cognac and triple sec, I thought I’d combine the two and use Grand Marnier. Cointreau Noir would be so good here too, but I only tend to stock that in the cooler months (at the time of writing, it’s August).
- I finished off with lemon juice, as the original calls for.
So, ta-da, I give you LinsFood’s Spice Between the Sheets!
Despite its simplicity, Spice Between the Sheets is a complex drink of rich oak, spicy and fruity notes. It’s fairly tart and pretty potent. And this is why I give you the option of adding honey, if you fancy it.
I love it chilled, and I have to warn you, it’s too easily drunk.
Shall we get our aprons on?
♥ If you like the recipe and article, don’t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating! Thank you! ♥
And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor, and hashtag it #linsfood
More LinsFood Cocktails
Spice between the Sheets (a Spiced Rum Cocktail)
- cocktail shaker
- cocktail jigger or measuring spoon
- cocktail glass
- Chopping board
- 30 ml spiced rum any brand, I'm using Rumbullion
- 60 ml Grand Marnier
- 10 ml fresh lemon juice
- squeeze of honey, optional ONLY if you think the drink is too tart or strong for you
- 3 ice cubes
- lemon peel or slice to garnish
- Place the spiced rum, Grand Marnier, lemon juice and ice cubes in a cocktail shaker and give it a good shake, to mix and to chill.30 ml spiced rum, 10 ml fresh lemon juice, 60 ml Grand Marnier
- Pour into a chilled glass, garnish with lemon peel or slice and sip to your heart's content.lemon peel or slice