The B-52 is a super easy shot drink or shooter, in this case, a layered shooter. It is apparently named after the popular new wave 70s band, who sang that iconic 80s/90s song, Love Shack.
It’s such a delicious drink, almost like drinking caramel out of a glass, but potent caramel.
B-52 Cocktail Ingredients
There are many variations to the B-52, with changes in the alcohol used, and each with a different number designation. But the original B-52 has:
- Kahlua, first layer – a coffee liqueur
- Baileys, second layer – creamy liqueur (click here to read up on Baileys)
- Grand Marnier, top layer – cognac and orange liqueur (Cointreau Noir is great too, if somewhat expensive)
All you do, is layer the 3 drinks in order as they appear above, see the recipe card below.
Many people replace the Grand Marnier with an orange liqueur, any Triple Sec will do. To me, Cointreau is the only Triple Sec worth drinking! Having said that, I thick using just an orange liqueur does rob the B-52 somewhat of the sharper and sophisticated hit that cognac gives.
Frangelico hazelnut liqueur instead of Grand Marnier
B-52 with Bomb Bay Doors
With a 4th layer of Bombay gin
B-52 in the Desert
With tequila instead of Bailey’s Irish cream
B-52 with a Full Payload
a B-52 with a 4th layer of Frangelico and a 5th layer of Bacardi 151 rum, which is then lit up.
With Sambuca instead of Irish cream.
With Amaretto (an almond liqueur) instead of Grand Marnier.
With absinthe instead of Grand Marnier.
With peppermint schnapps instead of Baileys.
This is just like the original B-52 but three times larger.
Add a splash of rum 151 to the Grand Marnier and light it up. The rum will ensure that you get a flame. Serve with a metal straw, or blow out the flame before drinking.
Let’s take a look at how to assemble the B-52.
♥ Do you like this recipe? Please give it a 5-star rating below! And when you make it, share it on Instagram or any other social medium and tag me @azlinbloor. Thank you! … Lin ♥Print
The B-52 is a super delicious, easy to make, layered shot drink, made with Kahlua, Baileys and Grand Marnier.
- 15ml (1/2 oz) Kahlua or any coffee liqueur
- 15ml (1/2 oz) Baileys Irish Cream
- 15ml (1/2 oz) Grand Marnier or Cointreau Noir
- Pour the Kahlua into a shot glass.
- Then, place a spoon upside down, with the tip touching the edge of the glass. Very, very slowly, pour the Baileys on the back of the spoon, to create the second layer. Point the bottle or whatever you are using, towards your hand, and let the drink slowly run down the back of the spoon.
- Finally, top the Baileys with the Grand Marnier, again very slowly pouring it over the back of the spoon.
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: American