Here is a quick an easy side or main for you to whip up in next to no time. This tofu, broccoli and shiitake stir fry is one of my favourite side dishes to make to go along with any Oriental main meal we’re having, like Sichuan Chicken, Saliva Chicken (no actual saliva involved!) and for a totally vegetarian affair, the Vegan Vietnamese Tofu and Eggplant recipe.
No rocket science involved today, straight up fresh ingredients, with minimal fat. And if you are on a low carb diet, you can absolutely have this as lunch, just on its own. This is a very simple dish, relying on the garlic and ginger for its flavouring. You could also finish off with a light drizzle of sesame oil for more flavour.
You’ll see from the recipe that I’m not being too specific with the ingredients, it’s a very easy recipe to cook and change accordingly. So if you don’t have or don’t like tofu, don’t fret, leave it out and just use the shiitake (or other mushrooms), the broccoli and/or any other stir fry friendly vegetables you fancy, like sugarsnaps, carrots, beansprouts, etc.
What to serve it with? Here are some examples:
Or you can always head on over to the World Cuisine page for ideas.Print
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced any way
- 5cm (2″) fresh ginger, sliced any way
- 3 spring onions (scallions), white and green separated, then sliced
- 100g (3.5) shiitake, sliced
- 200g (7oz) firm tofu, sliced in little cubes
- 200g (7oz) broccoli, chopped into bitesized pieces
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp water
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok on medium heat.
- Fry the garlic, ginger and white spring onions for about a minute.
- Add the tofu shiitake, broccoli and soy sauce and fry for about 3 minutes, adding a little water if you like, if things are burning or sticking, although the mushrooms should provide some moisture. All this is done on the same medium heat.
- Taste seasoning and add more soy sauce or salt if you think it needs it.
- Serve immediately, garnished with the green part of the spring onions and sesame seeds, if using.
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 2 as a side dish