Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
This smoked salmon salad is a treat for all your senses. From the colour, to the tingling, tangy and smoked flavours, your eyes and tastebuds will be thanking you for the most thrilling of rides!
The big stars are the smoked salmon, marinated artichokes and fresh, zingy oranges. Then we have just a touch of greens, a tiny amount of herbs and some parmesan for a bit of an umami kick and also for grounding us a little.
And finally, not that the salad needs it, a small drizzle of a simple, no frills balsamic dressing. We don’t want to upset the protagonists, after all.
Easy Party Salad for a Crowd
Need an easy salad recipe for a party? It really doesn’t get any simpler than this. Everything is shop bought.
Just a couple of weeks ago, I had some friends over for an early Christmas do. It was one of those days where I was just too lazy to make much. I had one hot dish and everything else was just easy food like cheese, chorizo and other antipasti.
What I also did was make up 2 large platters of this salad, and placed them on either end of the buffet table. The were empty within 5 minutes! The salad may be super easy to put together with shop bought items, but the smoked salmon just takes it up a notch. Most people I’ve served this to, have never seen, much less had, the combination of smoked salmon and oranges. So it’s always a hit.
For a crowd, all you need to do is double up, or even triple, the ingredients.
Marinated Artichokes in our Smoked Salmon Salad
I am a huge fan of marinated artichokes, and always have jars of them in the house. When they are in season, we make it ourselves, and preferably the grilled variety, as you see above. Get whatever you can get for this salad, grilled or not. You’ll usually find them near the Italian antipasti, whether fresh or in jars. Or make your own, click here or the recipe.
I use marinated artichokes in so many different ways. In fact, this smoked salmon salad is a spinoff of a starter I serve to my clients, usually the upmarket, business ones. That Starter of Smoked Salmon, Marinated Artichokes and Blood Orange is also visually striking, especially because of the blood red oranges. As you see below.
Oranges for our Smoked Salmon Salad
I adore blood oranges! They are just beginning to come into season now. If you can get them, that’s definitely the way to go. Otherwise, any oranges will do. Even easy peelers, just throw the segments onto the platter, instead of peeling and cutting into rings.
Let’s go see just how easy this salad is! Shall we get started?
More Salad Recipes on LinsFood
Community Images of this Salad
If you like the recipe and article, don’t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating! 😉 Thank you!
And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor, and hashtag it #linsfood.
Smoked Salmon Salad (with Orange and Marinated Artichokes)
- 4 oranges
- 200 g smoked salmon
- 300 g jar of marinated artichokes (see above)
- 4 shallots or 1 medium red onion
- ½ a cucumber
- 2 handfuls salad leaves like rocket arugula or lamb’s lettuce (corn salad)
- a few herb leaves of your choice like basil or mint
- parmesan shavings
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp EV olive oil
- tiny pinch of salt
- Mix the dressing ingredients up well by using a small balloon whisk or just a fork. Or place the ingredients in a screw top jar, seal, and shake vigorously. Set aside.
- Peel the oranges, then thinly slice them into rounds.
- Get the smokes salmon out and tear or cut into bitesized slices.
- drain and pat dry the marinated artichokes.
- Thinly slice the shallots into rings.
- Thinly slice the cucumbers. I use a vegetable peeler for this, but just slice them as usual if it’s easier.
- Divide all the salad ingredients up onto 4 plates, if serving individually. Or use a large plate, to serve a crowd. The parmesan shavings should go on last.
- Top with some freshly ground black pepper and drizzle the dressing all over. Maybe go easy on the dressing and folks can top up if they like.