First published May 2012. Updated August 2018.
This Smoked Salmon Fish Curry is something special! It came about
some 12 almost 18 years ago when I was expecting my eldest. Desperate for a South Indian fish curry, I was dismayed to find that the only seafood I had, were prawns (shrimp) and smoked salmon.
Now, did I say I was desperate?! Well, beggars can’t be choosers and all that, I decided I had no choice but to go ahead with what I had in hand. Another banality later (you know, necessity being the mother of invention?), a masterpiece was born, if I must say so myself.
This smoked salmon fish curry is deliciously rich in flavour and aroma. Imagine this:
- We start with an intensely aromatic base of South Indian spices and herb.
- To this, we add tangy tamarind that breaks through and lightens the pungency of the spices.
- Next, comes the creaminess of the coconut milk, which tempers and mellows, without taking away that distinctive identity.
- Almost there. In goes the meaty, commanding salmon, lending its own inimitable creamy character to the curry.
- And finally, the pièce de résistance. The smoked salmon adds, well, a smoky flavour and aroma to the curry. It imparts, blends with, yet lifts every single note in this fish curry.